Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Books for Christmas

These are the two books I received for Christmas. I'm enjoying them very much. They may seem contradictory to each other but so what. They are both fun to read and both represent different kinds of creativity and insight. They are both "right" somehow.




Looking for God Knows What by Donald Miller - Stresses the importance of relationship in understanding who God is and What God wants.





James the Brother of Jesus: The Key to Unlocking the Secrets of Early Christianity and the Dead Sea Scrolls by Robert Eisenman - Uses clues from ancient non-canonical documents as well as canonical as a detective to discern the previously hidden role of James in the first century.


2 comments:

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

The only Donald Miller book I have read was Blue Like Jazz and it was so-so in my view but still useful.

Eisenman is sort of out there on his views on the DSS too. But he is interesting reading.

All I asked for Christmas this year was The Forbidden Planet ... the special edition.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

SteveA said...

The existential/pomo style and image is good in measured doses. I thought the confession booth was one of the most creative christian stunts I've ever learned about.

Eisenman's book will provide one with a lot of background information of our religious roots. I expect in the course learning about his synthesis of events and their causes to acquire a greater detail of knowledge about who and what was written and was done by people involved in the beginning of our religion.

Have never seen the entire movie. I will make a point of it. Cool music as I recall. I was a little guy in the fifties but those sci fi movies left a mark on me. Probably exerted a strong influence on my choice of profession. Also considered the ministry, like my dad, but was not enough of a people person to understand their needs.

Blog Archive